The Peanuts Movie was quite a challenge on all sides. First and foremost the Filmmakers did an amazing job translating Charles Schultz's hugely iconic illustrations in to the three dimensional world. They had to please the Schultz family, Iconix (the company that owns the rights to The Peanuts) and the most importantly the public. I think the public was the toughest as there's two groups, the die hard fans (yes there are quite a few) and the people that grew up loving the characters but dropped off once they reached puberty. Well they did their job, then it was up to us to bring the love back beyond the trailers and the print materials. There were many facets, but below are some high points.
Holy shit did this blow up. Kind of hard to not see a custom creation on your social feed. We spent quite quite a bit of time working with Fox Animation and Blue Sky to perfect the details from the film, every pixel was adjusted for multiple custom assets. I spent a tremendous amount of time on usability on all platforms as I felt that a majority of the end users would be extremely impatient if the process had any hard edges or rough spots. With the success we saw millions of creations made and the average time spent was a half hour on the customization process.
THE WAH WAH MACHINE
Key Stats (April 2016)
- 17MM+ visits to PeanutizeMe.com
- 11MM+ uniques
- 7MM+ characters created to date
- 12.3MM sessions in first week of launch
- 3MM+ shares across Facebook & Twitter
- Trending topic on Twitter and Facebook for 48 hours
- 12 minutes average time spent on the site
- Featured in 80+ media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Time, Mashable, Ad Week, Collider and elitedaily.com.